Earth Science Outside – y 2018-2019 – Via SLDistrict
General Info Session 1 — Salt Lake School District Headquarters
CLICK HERE – Session 1 – Agenda, Activities. – Specifics of the day
Phenomenon: Even what may appear to be The Most Boring Of Places can be a fine place to go outside, (a) see patterns, (b) wonder about them, and (c) as teachers, see ways to happily connect curiosity and Earth science.
Embrace Earth Science Anywhere…
Tuesday and Thursday Tracks
Meet 9 – 11 AM – Aug 7 and 9, 2018
Rm 112 – 113
Salt Lake District Headquarters
440 East 100 South
SLC, UT 84111
LINKS for SESSION 1 … Go Outside – Embrace Earth Science Anywhere
CLICK HERE for Session 1 – Agenda and Activities.
CLICK HERE for Syllabus and Schedule (Note: always check the session info for the latest info such as an alternated meeting place.)
Course forms. These will be hard copy at class to be handed in. Teacher Information Form and Waiver.
HANDOUT for session will be posted after class.
CLICK HERE to Summary of Assignments.
CLICK HERE to First Homework Assignment.
Where Am I?
Sense of Place
Image of Ensign Peak
Image of State Capitol
By the End of Session 1… teachers participants should …
Have their own set of plastic relief maps for the Salt Lake – Tooele quadrangles.
Should realize that even a boring looking location such as downtown Salt Lake
- has potential for “place-based education”
- has physical features with patterns that can invite inquiry
- has potential for teaching the obvious (water runs downhill)
- as well as teaching the more subtle… for water to run downhill… there has to be a “downhill.” Has “downhill” always been “downhill” here?
- the concept of relative age applies to physical features as well as relative age of friends, family and colleagues.